A quick guide on how to create a smooth finish with Chalk Paint
One of the most asked questions is how to create a smooth finish with Chalk Paint.
To create a smooth finish, the surface of the furniture needs to be flat and free of loose or flaking paint, use a medium grit sandpaper to achieve this if necessary. Any dents or cracks should be filled and sanded.
- Open the tin of Vintro Chalk Paint and thoroughly stir to ensure even distribution of colour and ingredients.
- Decant paint into a container, thin with small amounts of water and mix thoroughly. Vintro Chalk Paint goes a long way and we recommend decanting to reduce the possibility of any contamination in the whole tin if it is open for a while.
- Using a flat synthetic Vintro Paint brush apply paint in smooth even coats, following the grain of wood, ensuring all crevices and corners are covered.
- A smoother finish will be achieved by slowly building up thin coats of Vintro Chalk Paint, rather than thicker coats.
- A very fine grit sandpaper or fine wet/dry sandpaper can be used in between coats of paint ,once dry, to ensure flatness between layers.
- Ensure you remove all paint dust before commencing to apply another coat of paint or finishing the surface.
- Although Vintro Chalk Paint appears to dry very quickly to the touch in most environments, it is recommended that a minimum of 2 hours of drying is left between coats, it can take up to 24 hours before the paint is fully cured.
- Finish with Vintro Wax or Vintro Lacquer.